-->

Monday, November 2, 2015

This one is nicer than the dog. Can we trade it?

Goodbye to the lambs of 2015. They were a sweet bunch and we are so thankful that they will feed us, friends, and family for the next year. While giving them lots of pets and thanks last night, my hard on the outside, but soft and sweet on the inside husband asked if we could trade the cuddliest one for the dog because he was nicer than Ella. This year we dropped them off for slaughter ourselves after rigging up quite the contraption in the bed of the truck for livestock transport.



^^ not even full size yet, snackin' on apples

When we dropped them off for slaughter this morning (at a family owned, local, and humanely engineered facility) I tried to keep a brave face. On the drive up, I asked my husband, "do you think kids cry when they drop off the animal they raised for 4-H?" I got out of the truck and walked around as though I had done it a million times. "Oh yeah, there are some pigs and other lambs here...totally cool...I've seen all this before!" 

My husband loaded the lambs out of the truck and I walked back to say one last goodbye, still acting like a veteran. Nope. I burst into tears and ran back to the truck. When he came to find me to see if I had any questions for the guy taking our lambs, he found me sobbing in the cab of the truck. "But...all...the...other...animals...were...uglier than ours!" Which of course wasn't true, but I had grown attached.

I'm not sure it will ever get easier and I don't really think it should. A life is a life and it should not be taken lightly. I'm so grateful for the time we had with these lambs and the happy and healthy life we could give them this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment