-->

Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving Thanks

There are so many reasons to be thankful this year, it will be hard to pick just one when going around the table to share. It will be our first Thanksgiving in a home that we own, our first as a married couple, and our first shared with both sets of parents on the same day, in our home.

Today really marked my start of some solid preparation before the big day, so I wanted to share what we will have on our Thanksgiving table and some helpful tips (the sweet potatoes especially!) and recipes in the links below.

Ours is coming from a farm down the road - we get to see the turkeys on our drive to work everyday. They were still alive as of Thursday, but pick up is Monday and Tuesday...


Mashed Sweet Potatoes (we'll also have a portion of  mashed russet potatoes - my mom makes the best)

A Classic Herb Dressing (I call it dressing because we don't actually stuff the bird with it)



I'm sure there will be a few other last minute adds (a squash of some sort and a green salad), but this is the main menu. This will also be the first holiday I learn how to make my mom's apple pie. I think it's fun to keep some things traditional, but throw in a recipe that doesn't show up every year. This year that will be the sprouts with cranberry pistachio pesto and I'm excited to give them a try!

We have a saison in the keg and the fridge will be stocked with plenty of local favorites like Citizen Cider and The Alchemist's Heady Topper (the beer that helped me sell my parents on craft beer). Maybe we will mix up some maple Pims cups. Who knows!


For those who are celebrating, I hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday!

...and for a good laugh, check out these 15 Kids Hand Turkeys That Are Just Plain Wrong.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delicious meal! You have to have pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. It is my absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so lovely- enjoy your first hosting gig and all the time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It should be a blast. We are getting hit pretty hard with snow today though :) It will be a white Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  3. that brussels sprouts recipe sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete