-->

Friday, October 31, 2014

Rough chop dilly beans

We have a lot going on in our lives and lots of little furry, feathery, and wooly creatures to take care of. I knew I wanted to make and can some dilly beans, but every time I looked at a preserving cook book, I shuddered and closed it. No time for that. But then I caved. I didn't cave that much though...true to style, I refused to follow a recipe laid out to me in one of my many preserving/canning cook books. I took bits and pieces and that is how I came up with these guys.





So, for 6 cans of rough chop dilly beans you will need:

6 pint size mason jars (preferably wide mouth if you don't own a canning funnel) 
A large pot
A saucepan
Tongs
3 pounds of green beans, washed and...roughly cut (they look more rustic that way, right?)
4 hot peppers of your choice/preference (I used Serrano and jalapeno)
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 big bunch of dill 
Ground black pepper

For the brine: 
5 cups apple cider vinegar 
6 tablespoons salt
6 teaspoons honey 

Start by filling your large pot with water and bringing it to a boil. You will need to sterilize each jar and lid in your water, which is daunting...but important.

After that is done, smash your garlic cloves and add two to each jar. Roughly chop your peppers in no certain fashion and divide the skins and seed into each of the six jars. Toss in some dill, doesn't really matter how much now, just be sure there is some left to go on top.

Next, stuff your jars with your green beans. Toss on the rest of the dill, dividing into the jars. At the same time, bring your brine to a boil on the stove top. Once the salt and honey have dissolved into your vinegar, fill each jar about 3/4 of the way full. You should run out of brine and all jars should look even. Then add about 1/2 cup of cold water to each jar, filling to the brim. Wipe the mouths of the jars clean and screw your lids tightly on. Boom! Done. Almost.




Bring your large pot of water back up to a boil if it isn't already. You will be give each jar a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Carefully use the tongs to pull each can out of the water since they will be piping hot. Now you're done.

You can crack open the first can in 2 weeks and see how it tastes. I'm trying to wait even longer for some so that they can end up on the relish tray during the holidays!




3 comments:

  1. Yum!! Looks so good! The idea of canning excited me like no other but the process- not so much. I'm only able to do water baths so far and haven't mastered pressure canning yet. I so wish we lived near each other and were real friends and then we could have big canning days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweetest comment ever! Not sure if I'll ever make it to pressure canning. I have been reading a lot about preserving and root cellaring foods. That seems to be the easier way to go about things :)

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks great an I can't wait to try it! I've been canning for a year now and love it, but also wish it was a bit less time consuming. Having fresh canned goods year round is a nice pay off :)

    ReplyDelete