-->

Friday, September 12, 2014

Ground apples

We have a plethora of apple trees on this property. A mix of green and red, I'd say we have almost 20 trees total. I'm not quite sure what to do with them all, still wrapping my head around the fact that these are all ours.


Before we even had a chance to pick them, some have fallen to the ground. I hate to see them wasted. The lambs like to eat the ones in the pasture. We think they might be getting a little drunk from them in fact! The chickens peck around at them too. But I'm coming up with some other ideas...



The other morning I gathered as many decent looking apples as I could and cooked them down to make 2 pint jars of apple sauce. Not a thrilling recipe really: 3 pounds of apples (peeled and cored), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of honey cooked down in a large sauce pan for about 35-40 minutes.


The real excitement is in the cores and peels. In true farmbrew experimental fashion, I decided to make some apple scrap vinegar. I seem to be reading about the health benefits of organic apple cider vinegar all over the place, so I'm pretty excited about this one. It's still fermenting, so if all goes as planned, I will be sharing the process in the next few weeks! Save your scraps!


Other ideas include apple butter (need a good recipe for that!) and these amazing looking apple pie buttermilk biscuits from Joy the Baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment