-->

Monday, September 29, 2014

Free Range: Schilling Beer Co.

Besides brewing beer and farming, our hobbies change with the seasons. The "shoulder seasons", Spring and Fall, provide the perfect opportunity to do some local travel and visit all of our favorite breweries. We hadn't been to Schilling since they first opened last Fall, so we ventured north to make an afternoon out of it. The beer list has grown tremendously (lucky us!) and we were excited to find some outdoor seating on a gorgeous day.

They were cleaning out the wood-fired oven for the second half of the day when we arrived, so we held ourselves over with some salad and beer while taking in the sun and the views. For beer, we started with Ima (urweisse) and the dunkel. The urweiss [light colored beer, barely pictured far left] was just what I was looking for. Wheat with a faint banana taste.


In the spirit of Oktoberfest, we finished up our first round and quickly ordered our next beers before the pizza came out. We both had the Resistance - an autumn style saison - which I'd say was my favorite, but I'm a sucker for a good saison.




For food we ordered a Bavarian pizza with kraut, sausage, pear, scallions, and mustard and a more traditional cheese and sausage with some caramelized onions. After eating up most of the food, an executive decision was made: "WE MUST TRY ALL THE BEER!"


I wish I could name these from memory alone (Schilling does not keep their beer list online), but the far left was a yummy Belgian style IPA "Foy". Second in from the left was a patersbier. One of my favorite things about these beers is that (for the most part) they are all somewhere around 4-5% alcohol. They do have a tripel that would likely knock you on your butt if you tried to drink it in the quantity that you've seen here, but I like to be able to try a few beers and enjoy them. Schilling is celebrating their 1 year anniversary and Oktoberfest, so their tap list is pretty extensive right now! Perfect time for a visit.

After the feast, we walked off our lunch and beers and snapped a few photos to fit in with the leaf peepers...but I mean, can you blame me?




5 comments:

  1. Wow, such beautiful surroundings near you! and may I say that pizza looks so so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes the bitter cold winters that much more bearable! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such an amazing day. I totally get carried away at tastings myself. Trying everything is always a good idea, i mean, you're there. And what beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think, Lyndsay! ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey would you email me at hollandsreverie@gmail.com? I wanted to send you an email for an upcoming blog project and can't find your contact info. Thank!

    ReplyDelete