-->

Monday, September 15, 2014

Food deserts

Have you heard of them?

Imagine what it must be like to do your grocery shopping at the convenient store on the corner, where your only options for feeding your family a "balanced meal" are frozen chicken fingers and canned vegetables. I know this blog is usually beer and butterflies...but I feel pretty strongly about access to healthy, affordable food and think this is an important enough topic to share some information.

The below map shows low income census tracts where a significant number of residents live 1 urban mile or 10 rural miles from the closest supermarket in green...yikes!


In reddish orange, low income census tracts where a significant number of residents live 1 urban mile or 20 rural miles from the closest supermarket. Double yikes!



Funny thing...we sometimes spend our Saturday or Sunday mornings driving to a nearby town 15-20 minutes away to buy fresh, affordable produce at a local farm stand. We drive down roads lined with corn fields and farms thinking about how blessed we are. The difference is, we do this by choice. We have enough privilege to choose where our food is coming from. We are fortunate enough to choose not to shop at big supermarket chains, when some would think a Super Walmart is a dream come true. 

I know there are bigger fish to fry in the world, but tonight this is mine...I wanted to take a step back to think about how lucky I am to be able to write this blog about raising our own food, making our own beer, and working towards a more sustainable life. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, and a great reminder of just how blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love that you are still following along here :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. I can't say I've thought much about this before but you have definitely made me feel lucky for what I do have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does put things in perspective :) I try to remind myself of this with the little annoyances "Oh, I forgot x and y at the store!" Well, at least I have the means to get back there.

      Delete