-->

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Free Range: A quarter century - hike & beer

It has been awhile since my last post and I frequently see bloggers apologizing for this. I'm not going to apologize because...if I'm not blogging, that means I'm busy living life outside of this website...and that is okay with me!


I recently celebrated a birthday with some beer and some hiking. My camera has an exhausted battery, so I have reverted to iPhone photos which do not capture the true beauty of our hike around Lake Willoughby and to the top of Mt. Pisgah! Though I'm not sure any camera really could.

We took the North Trail up Mt. Pisgah, which was about 4.6 miles round trip. The trail was a pretty steady incline, but it did pick up towards the top. The view was absolutely worth it. At the very top, you will just see a sign surrounded by trees noting the elevation with no view. However, there are three overlooks on your way.









Ella was parched, so we cracked open a beer and enjoyed the view. Barn Stormer is a pilsner from St. Lawrence Brewing Company, a brewery in Canton, NY. Nice, light beer!



I snapped a few more photos on our descent. Check out this mushroom!



If you are looking for a moderate to intermediate hike in Northern New England, I highly recommend Mt. Pisgah in the NEK! The view was incredible. If there is parking, give the North Trail a try. It seems much less crowded than the South Trail, which offers more parking therefore more hikers.

If you go, keep your eye out for peregrine falcons and nudists...the latter because there is a clothing optional beach on the lake.  

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you! It's a perfect way to spend a holiday, low key and outdoors. Sorry bout your pulleys that's no fun! Life on our farm has been a little if-ey also!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think it was put best by S the other day, "Now I know why people give up farming for a living...wild animals aren't going to come into work and smash my computer to pieces!" On the other hand, it's easy to see why people give up their normal 9-5 desk job for a life of farming when you are out with the animals :)

    ReplyDelete